“Welsh Netball are excited to be part of this new initiative and to be identified as a priority sport in partnership with Gemau Cymru. By giving players an opportunity to be a part of this multi-sport event, Gemau Cymru will provide an opportunity to experience what is to be expected in the Olympics. It will also, hopefully, strengthen the Welsh Netball bid for the game to be seen as an Olympic Sport.”
Ambassador: Sioned Hiscocks
1. Name, Age, School and club
Sioned Eleri Hiscocks, 19, Heol-Y-Cyw, Bridgend, Ysgol Gynradd Bro Ogwr, Ysgol Gyfun Llanhari, Cardiff Metropolitan, Cowbridge
2. When and why did you start your sport?
I started playing netball when I was in primary school, around 10 years old, I wanted to be part of the school team and play with my friends.
3. Greatest achievement to date?
My greatest achievement to date would be playing for Wales competing in the previous World Youth Championships in 2009. I hope to be a part of the team for the World Youths this year.
4. Your aspiration?
My aspirations are to play for the Welsh senior team, and outside of netball to graduate as a teacher.
5. Who has been your greatest influence?
The people who are the greatest influence on my career are my parents. They have supported me and supported any decision I have made.
6. Any pre competition rituals?
I haven't really got any pre competition rituals, the only thing is I have to wear two pairs of socks when I play.
7. Why is an event like Gemau Cymru important?
Gemau Cymru is important as it gives young people a chance to take part in a variety of sports and gives them the opportunity to show off their talents. Gemau Cymru also shows outsiders that sports in Wales are trying to move on and are improving their standards. It also shows how much the 2012 Olympics has given to Wales and the benefits that's come with it.
- The event will be a 12 team Under 14 Tournament.
- Eight teams will be nominated by each of the Welsh Netball Development Officers.
- To contact your regional netball development officer please visit their website, www.welshnetball.co.uk.
- The additional 4 teams will be selected as wild cards advised by the Welsh Netball Association.
- Players must be 14 at Midnight on 31st of August 2012 / September 1st 2012, prior to their championships.
- Each team may consist of a squad of up to 12 players. It is recommended that there is a minimum of 10 players