Urdd Gobaith Cymru was established by Sir Ifan ab Owen Edwards in 1922. His aim was to protect the Welsh language in a world where English dominated every aspect of life outside the home and the chapel. In an issue of the magazine ‘Cymru’r Plant’ in 1922 Syr Ifan said, ‘These days, in many villages, and in most towns in Wales, children play and read in English. They forget that they are Welsh.’
At the beginning of the twentieth century, the future looked bleak for the Welsh language, even though there were over a million Welsh speakers in Wales. Two of the most prominent figures to challenge the crisis at this time were O.M. Edwards and his son, Sir Ifan ab Owen Edwards. O.M. Edwards, Wales’ first Chief Inspector for Education, contributed on a regular basis to the monthly magazine‘Cymru’r Plant’, established by him in 1892. He published many Welsh books on Wales and Welsh politics. In his articles he encouraged awareness amongst the Welsh people of Welsh culture and traditions. He tried twice to establish a youth movement for the young people and children of Wales. ‘Urdd y Delyn’ was established in 1896, and ‘Byddin Cymru’ in 1911, but both attempts failed. O. M. Edwards died in 1920, but his life and ideas were an inspiration to his son to develop a new successful movement.
After the death of O.M.Edwrads, his son Sir Ifan ab Owen Edwards became the editor for the magazine ‘Cymru’r Plant’ and in 1922, in that magazine, he appealed to the children of Wales to join a new movement which was called ‘Urdd Gobaith Cymru Fach’. This was a new beginning in the history of the Welsh language and culture. The reaction was positive from the start and he received many letters and ideas. The enthusiasm amongst the readers of ‘Cymru’r Plant’ overwhelmed Hughes and Son press in Wrexham. By the end of the year, names of 720 new members had appeared in the magazine and hundreds more were eagerly awaiting their turn. The first local Urdd branch was established in Treuddyn, Flintshire in 1922.
In the early days Sir Ifan and his wife took responsibility for all aspects of the organising and administration. All Urdd work took place at their home in Llanuwchlyn, near Bala. By the end of 1923, as a result of their enthusiasm, the number of members rose to 3,000, and by 1927 5,000 young people had become members of the Urdd. The number of Urdd branches also rose to 80 by 1927. In 1924 the first Urdd branch was established in Abercynon in South Wales. This proved how effective the Urdd was in non-Welsh speaking areas, as well as in areas where most Welsh speakers lived.
By the end of the 1920s therefore, the Urdd had grown to be an active, dynamic movement. It grew to be popular and confident, and the word ‘small’ (bach) was deleted from its name. It was now called ‘Urdd Gobaith Cymru’. By 1930, 20 ‘cylchoedd’ (areas) had been created and a dozen more were in progress. These ‘cylchoedd’ had their own unique flags and effective organisation.
[Back to top]
Sir Ifan’s next idea was to bring children from across Wales together in a Welsh residential centre. The only aspect used to attract the first campers was enthusiasm for Wales, the sense of adventure and the opportunity to meet other young people from all over Wales. In September 1927 Sir Ifan wrote in ‘Cymru’r Plant’ that a camp would be held at Llanuwchllyn for ten days, at a cost of ten shillings. The camp would be held for about a hundred boys in August 1928. The cooking methods were primitive and they had very few facilities. They had eighteen tents and a large marquee. The campers washed in the river; very different to the luxury in the residential centres today. These first camps were extremely successful and similar camps were held for girls. During the next few years camps were held at Llangollen, and the cooking and sleeping facilities were improved.
By 1932 Sir Ifan was determined to set up a permanent camp for the Urdd, and the residential centre at Llangrannog was established. The residential centre was formed around the wooden cabin ‘Plas Penhelig’, which was named after the home of J.M.Howell to thank him for his generous sponsorship. Four weeks of camp were held during that hot summer in 1932. There was room for 150 campers, and the food, washing and sleeping facilities, and the leisure provision were all improved annually.
A second camp was established in 1934 at Porth Dinllaen to run along side the residential centre at Llangrannog. Boys were sent there whilst the girls stayed at Llangrannog with the intention of swapping every other year. Welsh learners were encouraged to join fluent Welsh speakers there, and many came to the camps to improve their oral Welsh skills. The two camps went from strength to strength and grants from the Social Services Committee and the Jubilee Trust enabled the Urdd to develop their facilities further, and more cabins were built. During that summer, accommodation was provided for 701 boys at Porth Dinllaen and 765 girls at Llangrannog. In 1938 a mixed camp was held for adults who wished to re-live memories of their youth. That camp was held at Llangrannog and the idea of a mixed camp took hold. With the kitchen, the gym and the chapel being built at Llangrannog, a decision was made to end the camp at Porth Dinllaen.
A camp was held during the Second World War even though tents could not be put up, and food and other facilities were rationed. The number of camps held during the war were limited and the authorities kept a close eye on the Urdd’s activities. But, by 1944 the Urdd had managed to accommodate 1000 campers of all ages.
At the end of the 1940s another residential centre was established for older campers in Wales. The appeal was different to the other residential centres as it was located in Snowdonia near Bala lake. This gave campers the opportunity to take part in different kind of activities. There were possibilities for young people to take part in climbing, physical exercise and water sports. In 1950 the first camp was held at Glan-llyn with the motor boat ‘Y Brenin Arthur’ taking campers across the lake from the train. In 1955 a new cabin was built where Eisteddfodau and Noson Lawen could be organised.
The residential centres were not the only facilities to be developed during this period before the Second World War. The Urdd became an important national movement and the number of Aelwydydd grew at a substantial rate. The Urdd received generous grants which ensured that staff could be employed in different areas. Grants were received from education authorities to make buildings suitable to be used by aelwydydd and to buy all sorts of equipment. By May 1941, 83 aelwydydd had been set up across Wales. Between the ‘adrannau’ and the ‘aelwydydd’ and the ‘Young Wales Club’ for Welsh learners, the movement had 817 branches with a network of local and county committees in every area from Anglesey to Glamorgan, all year round.
In a meeting at Corwen in 1928 it was suggested that a National Eisteddfod could be held and funded by the Urdd. Preparations were made therefore for a two day event at Corwen in 1929 at the end of May. A procession was held and a historical ceremony took place at the Corwen Pavilion with flags and three queens were chosen to sit on the Eisteddfod thrones. The high standard of competition was praised. In the second Eisteddfod at Caernarfon in 1930, 3000 competitors gathered together and the town ground to a halt for two days. One of the most memorable Eisteddfodau during this early period was the Eisteddfod at Carmarthen in 1935, and the press was full of news reports about this unique event that had taken over the town completely. Thousands flocked to the pavilion which held 12000 and made a great impression in Wales and beyond.
The Second World War was a great blow to the Eisteddfod, but even though there were threats from every direction, the Eisteddfod was held in 1940 at Rhyl. Even though this Eisteddfod was held for one day only, many children and young people came to compete. The opportunity to travel was very limited in this period and it was hard to get from place to place. The Eisteddfod gave children, young people and their families the chance to see the country, and to compete against other children and young people from different backgrounds. By the mid 1950’s the nature of the festival was transformed, and it started to concentrate more and more on competing and culture instead of on the marching and celebrating. New aspects were developed every year with an art exhibition being introduced at Abertridwr in 1955 and a classical concert at the Eisteddfod in Mold in 1958.
As well as the Eisteddfod the Urdd decided to venture and innovate in many new fields to promote the Welsh language. In this period Sir Ifan decided to establish a Welsh cinema to promote the Welsh language and culture to a wider audience. The film ‘Y Chwarelwr’, which cost £2000 to produce, travelled around the country. The cinema was used by Sir Ifan to promote the movement’s activities.
The book campaigns between 1937 and 1965 were a crucial contribution to Welsh culture. This was a structured plan to support modern Welsh literature and adrannau and aelwydydd started selling Welsh books to the public. Hundreds of Urdd members started selling and distributing Welsh books in shops, Eisteddfodau and from door to door. The campaign went from strength to strength and the result was establishing what we know today as the Welsh Book Council in 1962 which shouldered the responsibility of financing and sponsoring the book trade from then on.
Sir Ifan was responsible for establishing the first Welsh-medium school at Aberystwyth in 1939. After discussing with the education committee a school was established for seven pupils, under the able leadership of Norah Isaac. The school grew from an insecure experiment to be an attractive, effective establishment. Parents were more than willing to pay for a good education for their children through the medium of Welsh. By 1945 Ysgol Lluest had four teachers and 81 pupils and had raised awareness of the need for a Welsh education under the education authority. This had a great impact on Education Authorities and persuaded them that Welsh schools were in demand across Wales. Even though this school closed as a result of financial problems in 1951, another Welsh school was opened for 160 pupils in Aberystwyth in 1952, under the same headmaster as Ysgol Lluest, Hywel O.Roberts.
Sul yr Urdd (the Urdd Sunday) was another venture that was part of Sir Ifan’s vision during this period. The first Sul yr Urdd was held in 1931. By 1934 it had developed to be a large annual service.
Sir Ifan continued with the magazine ‘Cymru’r Plant’ for 30 years, the work which his father O.M.Edward had started in 1892. The magazine continued to be popular and as it grew from strength to strength, the movement also grew and developed. By 1954 22500 magazines a month were being distributed to schools through education authorities. The magazine ‘Cymraeg’ was established for Welsh learners and within the year its distribution had reached 26000. In 1957 Ifor Owen, the editor realised that two magazines were needed for Welsh speakers - ‘Cymru’ for the older children and ‘Cymu’r Plant’ for the younger children. The magazines went from strength to strength and continued to grow at a fast rate during the 1960s.
A prominent place was given to physical exercise in the Urdd’s activities and the founder believed that is was an integral part of a young person’s development. The first sports day was held in Llanelli in 1932. The Urdd managed to assemble 4000 to take part in this colourful event. The response was enthusiastic in the south and the Urdd organisers soon realised that this was a great opportunity to involve non-Welsh speakers and learners in physical exercise and to encourage them to use the Welsh language and mix with Welsh speakers. Uniforms, flags and processions with bands were characteristic of this period, and during the sports day thousands of Urdd members marched through Llanelli. Sports days were held at Bridgend, Pontypridd, Bangor, Porthmadog and Aberpennar.
The sports day was not held in 1940 due to the Second World War. In the following years, it was difficult to relaunch them. Some counties managed to hold local sports days in the 1940s which spawned the desire to hold a national event again. With the advent of new sports competitions and athletic societies in the 1950s, the Urdd realised that the youth of the country no longer needed a sports day and the last one was held in 1954. After this, the Urdd went on to concentrate on different sports.
After his experience in the Great War and all the destruction and suffering that came with it, Sir Ifan ab Owen Edwards decided that bridges should be built between different cultures and nations. The Message of Peace and Goodwill was announced for the first time by Gwilym Davies, a Welsh representative in the League of Nations. Sir Ifan thought that the Urdd should join the campaign to broadcast the message and get rid of the ignorance and the prejudice that existed between the nations of the world. In 1925, therefore, the message was broadcast jointly by the Urdd and the League of Nations. In 1930 it was decided that May would be the month of Goodwill and the message was promoted in ‘Cymru’r Plant’. By 1934 the BBC took part in announcing the message and even though it came to an end over the Second World War, a series of articles on peace and love between countries were published under the title, ‘Cymru a’r Byd’. (Wales and the World)
It was important to Sir Ifan that children in Wales had the opportunity to meet other children from countries across the world. In 1930 he organised a voyage for a group of boys to Geneva, the home of the League of Nations. After the success of that voyage, Sir Ifan decided to organise another similar voyage for girls. The Urdd continued to organise different voyages over a period of time. In 1933 a group of Urdd members sailed from Wales to Scandinavia and Norway, with hundreds of older members paying £15 to travel on this unique, Welsh voyage to the North of Europe. Sir Ifan decided that voyages should be organised as often as possible and organised trips to Brittany, Spain, Portugal, the Mediterranean Sea and North Africa. These voyages came to an end in 1939 with the start of the Second World War. From then on shorter, cheaper voyages were organised for a smaller number of people. After the war the Urdd tried to get rid of any scars by organising trips for young people to Europe, and opportunities were given to restore international relations. In 1948 the first international camp was organised at Aberystwyth. The camp was held every year until 1960, and drew young people to Wales from around the world to socialise, to learn and to enjoy a holiday on the Welsh course. The Urdd was one of the first organisations to welcome young Germans after the Second World War.
[Back to top]
The Urdd’s activities became more and more popular and the movement prospered during this period. The Eisteddfod continued to experiment and develop at the beginning of the 1960s. 25,000 people flocked to the Eisteddfod at Dolgellau in 1960, and a Science Department was established there for the first time, and ensured that every subject became a part of the Urdd’s activities. Non-Welsh speakers were attracted to the Eisteddfod field and a bilingual message board was displayed behind the stage in Aberdare in 1961 and an abbreviated version of the programme was printed in English. To celebrate the 50th anniversary of establishing the Urdd, a musical was performed called ‘Y Weledigaeth Fawr’ (The Great Vision) and an exhibition was set up on the Eisteddfod field to celebrate 50 successful years. During the 1970s the Eisteddfod grew and more and more competitors came to compete. The Urdd concentrated on gaining sponsorship as the festival was developing at a rapid pace, and the standard was also improving from year to year. The Eisteddfod at Rhyl was held for four days instead of three and as the 1970s progressed the appeal of the Eisteddfod grew. In 1975, 65,000 people visited the Eisteddfod.
Mistar Urdd was born in September 1976 and grew to be a popular and lively character. The Urdd invested in a t-shirt printing machine and the cellar in the Urdd’s headquarters at Aberystwyth became a factory to print Mistar Urdd t-shirts and other merchandise, such as stickers, badges, posters, mugs, clothes and so on. Mistar Urdd became an industry of its own and the demand for merchandise meant that a merchandise company could be established under the name ‘Copa Cymru’ in a factory on an Aberystwyth industrial estate. A Mistar Urdd shop was opened at Aberystwyth, and a postal service was organised. In 1979 Mistar Urdd travelled through Wales promoting the Urdd with Mici Plwm’s special vehicle leading the campaign.
The Eisteddfod field by the 1980s was a popular attraction with a large variety of stalls and tents. The pavilion was developed to be a concert hall and the provision for competitors was improved. By 1983 the Eisteddfod was extended to five days and all sorts of improvements were made to the festival with musical and theatrical entertainment, sports training and new competitions. The funfair came to entertain children on the field, and all these aspects broadened the appeal of the festival further, and started to attract people and competitors from all sorts of cultural and social backgrounds. In 1989 with the Eisteddfod in the Gwendraeth Valley, the Eisteddfod was extended to six days with a wide variety of concerts, competitions and sports held on the Eisteddfod field.
The residential centres went from strength to strength during this period as well. After the success of the camps held in Llanuwchlyn, Porth Dinllaen and the permanent centre at Llangrannog, Glan-llyn was established in 1950. At the end of the 1950s the Urdd looked at the possibility of extending the size of the centre and building another house, calling it Glan-llyn Isaf. During the 1960s facilities and equipment were improved and two gymnasia were built with a generous grant of £3,800 from the Education Administration. The future looked brighter after the centre succeeded to gain a long term lease of the site in 1980. This secured more opportunities for development. In the early 1960s a large sum of money was spent on resources and activities, and the centre offered training in climbing and canoeing. In the 1970s the centre succeeded in building a sailing hut and a new landing area and by 1980 Glan-llyn also had a swimming pool. Also, during that year the new building that included a swimming pool, gym, and bedrooms for 60 people was opened. 69 courses were held there and over the course of a year 6000 young people enjoyed the various activities. In the 1980s the new canteen and the multi-purpose sports hall were built to attract more visitors to Glan-llyn, and by 1992 the centre had its own 10-pin bowling centre. With modern attractions, geography educational courses and training in activities such as sailing and canoeing, Glan-llyn became a prominent outdoor activity centre for children and young people in Wales by the mid 1990s.
During the same period many developments were made at Llangrannog residential centre. Officers were worried that Glan-llyn was receiving more attention than Llangrannog. The wooden cabins at Llangrannog were looking a bit worse for wear. 1968 was the year when the future of the Urdd at Llangrannog was made secure. After renting the site every year, the owners were persuaded to sell the farm Ty Cwrt to secure the future of the centre. This was the beginning to a new period in the history of the residential centre. At the beginning on the 1970s a new canteen and bedrooms were built with room to accommodate 128 people. As a result 6026 campers came to the centre in 1978 compared to 2722 in 1972. By the end of the 1970s Llangrannog had a large barn, swimming pool, hospital, shop and a new gymnasium. By the beginning of the 1980s, grants from the Welsh Office guaranteed that the centre would be able to extend and build halls, offices, stockrooms, a bike shed and a sleeping block for an extra 80 people. The centre developed effective but cheap activities such as quad bikes, BMX bike courses, an adventure course and rollerblading. The period between the end of the 80s and the beginning of the 90s was a crucial period in the history of the Urdd, and modern activities attracted the visitors. The ski slope was built, as well as a swimming pool and a new horse riding track. By the mid 1990s Llangrannog was one of the main residential centres in Wales with resources and activities of the highest standard possible. ‘Hafod’, another sleeping block, and the new canteen were built.
During the 1970s a residential centre was opened at Blaencwm in the Croesor Valley, and another at Pentre Ifan in Pembrokeshire. The buildings were refurbished to suit young people who wanted to spend their holidays in the countryside.
The Message of Goodwill was an important part of the Urdd’s activities every year and was a responsibility taken by a different branch each year. Humanitarian and international campaigns were developed. During the 1980s and 1990s, with support from volunteers and charities, the Urdd succeeded in contributing towards projects in Madagascar, Mali and Bosnia in 1993-95.
On the playing field, the Urdd continued to be prominent. In 1960 the Pantyfedwen football cup was re-established for branches and two rugby competitions were organised. From then on, physical exercise activities were numerous. By 1963 there were 203 branches taking part in competitions, including football, rugby, hockey, tennis, netball, darts and snooker. At the end of the 1960s the final rounds for all sports competitions were held on the same day in Aberystwyth. The sporting activities grew at such a rate during the 1970s that the Urdd had to organise two festivals, one for the under 15s and another for older members.
By the 70s and 80s the magazines were becoming more and more popular. The magazine ‘Cymru’ was adapted, and the contents and the name changed to ‘Hamdden’. The distribution rose to 43,850 a month. In 1966 two magazines were published for Welsh learners which were called ‘Bore Da’ for the younger children and ‘Mynd’ for older Welsh learners. With both these colourful magazines, the distribution rose to 46,000 a month. According to R. E. Griffith this was ‘the biggest miracle in the history of Welsh publishing.’ ‘Hamdden’ came to an end because of financial loss and ‘Cymru’r Plant’ and ‘Deryn’ joined together to form ‘Cip’. Three magazines continued to be published, ‘Cip’, ‘Bore Da’ and ‘Mynd’ from 1988. In the 90s ‘Mynd’ changed to ‘iaw!’ and worked with popular BBC Wales’ Education Department for pupils in secondary schools.
[Back to top]
Urdd Gobaith Cymru has continued to go from strength to strength over the last ten years. Today it is the main youth movement in Wales. The movement has over 50,000 members. 30% of all Welsh speakers between 8 and 18 in Wales are members of the Urdd. The Urdd has 180 staff, 10,000 volunteers, and 250,000 sports sessions are held annually. 96,000 magazines are sold every year, and in 2005-2006, 960,000 visits to the website were made.
Activities in local branches are essential to the success of the Urdd. As a result of the National Urdd Eisteddfod in areas across Wales, new local branches have been formed such as CF1 in Cardiff and Aelwyd yr Ynys in Anglesey. The activities include sing-alongs, sports, trips abroad, and humanitarian work. To celebrate the Urdd’s 75th birthday in 1997, a large Jamboree was held in Cardiff with 10,000 members processing through the streets to Cardiff Bay. There was another large Jamboree in 2003 at Margam Park with 2000 members from the area taking part before the Eisteddfod was held there. At the beginning of the new millennium, Mistar Urdd travelled across Wales visiting 607 schools. Mistar Urdd’s song is as popular as ever and was re-recorded in 2002 by the Welsh pop group CIC in a large campaign to promote the Urdd’s activities after the crisis of the foot and mouth disease.
1997 was an important year for the Urdd as the movement was celebrating 75 years since Sir Ifan ab Owen Edward's vision was announced in 1922. To note the occasion a concert was organised at the Corwen Pavilion with performances by the Aelwydydd choir, and stars such as Bryn Terfel, Nerys Richards, Bethan Dudley and Daniel Evans. The Aelwydydd choir came together again at St. David’s Hall, Cardiff in 2005 to proclaim that the Urdd Eisteddfod was coming to Cardiff in 2005.
Lately, family membership was introduced and has become very popular. Urddaholics members (members between 16 and 25 years of age) increased by 28% and activities such as the climbing wall at the Royal Welsh show and the non-alcoholic bar on the National Eisteddfod field are attracting the crowds. The Urdd has worked with S4C, Miri Myrddin, Parti Ponty, Ffiesta Fflint, the National Eisteddfod, and the Sports Council of Wales to encourage children and young people in Wales to take part in Urdd activities and to socialise through the medium of Welsh.
The residential centres continue to grow and develop. At Glan-llyn in 1995 the ‘Plas’ opened officially by Bryn Terfel and has en-suite rooms, lounges and classrooms. The centre now offers en-suite accommodation for over 200 people. Over the following years, the roller-skating hall, the swimming pool and the sports hall were refurbished, and new staff specializing in outdoor activities such as climbing and white-water rafting came to Glan-llyn. Radio Cymru held discos with new lights and disco equipment.
As the numbers of people attending the centre rose, especially the number of older visitors, a new Welcome Centre was built with a new reception, offices, a lecturing theatre and bedrooms. The ten-pin bowling centre was renewed with new machines and screens, and what better way to show off these new facilities than in a fly on the wall documentary series filming everything that went on at the centre? The new Welcome Centre was opened in 2003, and a Language Officer was appointed to organise educational courses. Key skills courses were held for secondary school pupils. The latest development at the centre is the high rope course. Plans are being made to build a new bike course, and safe walking routes from Glan-llyn to Llanuwchllyn. A digi-lab was opened in 2005 with the latest computer technology. Glan-llyn continues to move on with the age and continues to attract the young people of Wales in their thousands.
The developments at the residential centre at Llangrannog are just as exciting. During the Urdd Eisteddfod week at Bro’r Preseli in 1995 families of competitors stayed at the centre, as well as the competitors of the Celtic countries’ cross country competition. From then on family holidays became popular and people of all ages come to stay at the centre to socialise and to enjoy the various activities. The activities changed and developed as well. At the end of the 1990s the rope course and toboggans were introduced and the roller-skating hall was improved. At that time plans were being made to start developing the Sports Hall, new accommodation for 150 people and a Heritage Centre; a project costing nearly £4 million. By 2004 the centre at Llangrannog had lots of new facilities. A new car park was created, new bedrooms - 34 of them en-suite - a Leisure Centre and an all weather sports pitch. Alun Pugh AM opened the new developments. The residential centre promotes sports and a summer school was started with 170 attending the first course. The farm buildings have now been converted to a brand new Heritage Centre.
Pentre Ifan centre is located in Pembrokeshire. The building is in a beautiful, rural location close to the Pembrokeshire coast, Cardigan and Fishguard, and close to the historical cromlech at Pentre Ifan. Wildlife can be studied at Pentre Ifan and the centre has won an award in the Campaign to Protect Rural Wales for the educational work done there.
One of the newest and most exciting developments for the Urdd over the past few years is the residential centre located in Cardiff Bay. The new centre is located in the Wales Millennium Centre. It accommodates 150 people in en-suite bedrooms, and has a theatre, a lounge, two classrooms, a canteen and offices for staff. The centre was opened in November 2004. It offers all sorts of unique opportunities and a chance to visit the capital city’s main attractions – the Millennium Stadium, the Assembly, Techniquest, the National Welsh Folk Museum, Big Pit, Castell Coch, Cardiff Castle and much more! Whilst staying at the centre, children and young people visit the theatre, a football, rugby, ice hockey, or cricket match, the cinema and ten-pin bowling alleys.
All sorts of developments and modern technology enables the Eisteddfod to give children and young people and their families a memorable experience. There has been an increase in the establishments and companies represented on the eisteddfod field and the number of stalls are also increasing. The Eisteddfod has ventured to all areas of Wales to promote Welsh culture and language, and to encourage children and young people form all backgrounds to join in the competing and activities. In 1997 the Eisteddfod came for the first time to Gwent.
New ground was broken when the Eisteddfod came to Lampeter and a film was produced instead of a musical performance by the young people of the area. The number of visitors to the Eisteddfod field increased to 100,000 on many occasions and bands such as Big Leaves, Eden, Diffiniad, and the Super Furry Animals attracted the crowds. At the turn of the century the Assembly appeared on the Eisteddfod field for the first time, and in 2001 the Eisteddfod was cancelled as a result of the Foot and Mouth disease. Gwyl yr Urdd was held and two centres were organised, one in the North and one in the South; both joining to compete and celebrate. The Urdd pioneered in web broadcasting and viewers across the world had the chance to watch the Eisteddfod live on the internet. In Anglesey in 2004 there was a large video wall with 80 screens as a backdrop to the Pavilion and a myriad of activities and fun on the field itself to entertain old and young, for example the teepees for the Urddaholics activities. In 2005 for the first time the Eisteddfod was held at the Wales Millennium Centre at Cardiff Bay. The famous musical ‘Les Miserables’ was performed by the Urdd National Youth Theatre. The company has recently been re-established and will perform on the stage of the Millennium Centre again in 2009 when the Eisteddfod returns to Cardiff Bay.
Today, the Urdd has three popular children magazines. Cip has news, posters, competitions and puzzles for Welsh speakers under 12 years of ages. Bore Da is for Welsh learners in key stages 1 and 2 of the National Curriculum and iaw! is for secondary Welsh learners. A teachers leaflet is produced along side Bore Da and iaw! to promote the use of the magazines in the classroom, and ten editions of each magazines are published annually. In 1995 a designer was appointed to work on the magazines and the image and format of the magazines were modernised, making them more attractive to children today. All kinds of activities are organised in schools, two joke books were published and by 2002 the magazines had their own website. In the mid 1990s a letter-writing competition was launched with the support of the Post Office and Planed Plant on S4C. It was a great success from the beginning and was a fantastic way to encourage children to write letters in Welsh.
The Urdd is part of the Bardd Plant Cymru scheme in partnership with S4C, Welsh Books Council and the Academy. Well known poets such as Mei Mac, Ceri Wyn Jones, Tudur Dylan Jones and Mererid Hopwood have been part of the project and in 2006-2007 the youngest children’s poet ever was appointed, Gwyneth Glyn. The main aim of the project is to promote poetry amongst our young people, mainly through workshops and visits to schools.
Humanitarian and international work is very important to the Urdd to this day. In 1995, for example, the Urdd worked closely with Unicef to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of the League of Nations. Most of the work was done in Mali, and £100,000 was raised to promote Unicef’s work there. Sul yr Urdd continues as well. A different school is responsible for announcing the Goodwill message every year. In 2002 four pupils from Ysgol Dyffryn Conwy read the message in the European Parliament in Brussels on the Urdd’s Peace and Goodwill message day, and in 2006 the message was read in front of the Welsh Prime Minister, Rhodri Morgan, as well as other national leaders. In 2005 the Message was announced by Ysgol Gyfun Treorci, the first second language school to prepare the Message.
Over the last years the Urdd’s humanitarian work has created links with Christian Aid and Oxfam and £2,000 was raised towards the Kosovo fund in 1998. Childline and the NSPCC are the other charities that have benefited from Urdd work. Urddaholics members have visited China, Patagonia, Macedonia, Calcutta, Lesotho and France to participate in volunteer projects. Young people have also been working in orphanages in Poland, and children from that orphanage visited Wales - a memorable experience for the Urddaholics members and especially for the children. In 2004 young people from Calcutta visited Wales and took part in all sorts of Urdd activities across Wales and at the Eisteddfod in Anglesey. Many groups have travelled to Romania to volunteer and in 2004 a group of young people from Pembrokeshire took part in a project to build better toilets in a village in Lesotho.
The Urdd’s sport provision is going from strength to strength. It includes competitions, training courses, and National Galas for all ages. In 1997 10,000 members took part in the Urdd’s Sports. Four National Sport festivals are held every year as well as two swimming galas and two athletics festivals. The Urdd started working with Sport Council Wales during the National Urdd Eisteddfod in 1999. A Sports Strategy was formed in 2002-2012 and its aim was to double the sports provision by 2007 and treble it by 2012.
In 2001 five sports officers were appointed to ensure that the sports provision was of the highest standard possible. During the last few year the National Rugby Competition was held for the first time in Llanelli with 108 teams taking part from across Wales, and the final matches were played on Stradey Park. By 2003 the rugby festival had extended to two days at Llanelli, and in 2004 135 teams participated in the competition. The sports summer school at Llangrannog is extremely popular and the Urdd has become National Accredited Centre to run courses for Sports Leaders in the community. In 2005 the first Gymnastics festival was held for two days at Aberystwyth. In 2006 the first national Aquathlon was held at Aberystwyth, and the Urdd’s sports department was responsible for running the sports activities on the National Eisteddfod field at Swansea.
Sir Ifan’s dream has been realised, and the Urdd goes from strength to strength. From year to year, more money is invested to ensure that the movement continues to attract children and young people to socialise and learn through the medium of Welsh.
[Back to top]